Can we create the first iOS App to call the second iOS App ?

General discussion about iOS development - a great place to ask questions about iOS or help out others. For discussion of the official tutorials, see the Official Tutorials forum.

Can we create the first iOS App to call the second iOS App ?

Postby Lek_TH » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Dear Expert,

I heard that , right now we can create the first App to call the second App in the same iPhone. is it true ? If yes, please suggest which topic I should study for creating the app.

Many thanks,
Lek.
Lek_TH
Subscriber since Sep 9, 2014
Hacker

Re: Can we create the first iOS App to call the second iOS A

Postby Hollance » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:51 pm

You do this with URL schemes. Basically app B registers for a URL scheme and then app A calls that URL. This will open app B.
Like card games? Play my new game Mahjong Cards for iPad.
Hollance
Subscriber since Jan 26, 2014
iOS Tutorial Team Member

Postby reidnez » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Hollance wrote:You do this with URL schemes. Basically app B registers for a URL scheme and then app A calls that URL. This will open app B.

It was my understanding that this capability is no longer supported as of iOS 5.1; at least, that's what the consensus was when I was researching whether it was possible to have your app open the "settings" app. May not be the case with other apps. I could be wrong!

EDITI think what you're saying makes sense; if both apps are yours, you could register app "B" and have app "A" call it. I think you can no longer call Apple apps, though.
I am available for contracting/consulting (PM me) and for one-on-one tutoring at http://www.codementor.io/reid
My personal blog can be found at http://www.cocoatouchedme.com
reidnez
Forum Subject Matter Expert

Postby jvanlint » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:08 pm

reidnez wrote:
Hollance wrote:You do this with URL schemes. Basically app B registers for a URL scheme and then app A calls that URL. This will open app B.

It was my understanding that this capability is no longer supported as of iOS 5.1; at least, that's what the consensus was when I was researching whether it was possible to have your app open the "settings" app. May not be the case with other apps. I could be wrong!

EDITI think what you're saying makes sense; if both apps are yours, you could register app "B" and have app "A" call it. I think you can no longer call Apple apps, though.

This is correct when trying to call "apple" apps like Settings, etc.

But for calling other user made apps the URL scheme is still valid.
jvanlint
Uber Haxx0r

Return to General Discussion