IOS Dev Program: hopeful solution

General discussion about iOS development - a great place to ask questions about iOS or help out others. For discussion of the official tutorials, see the Official Tutorials forum.

IOS Dev Program: hopeful solution

Postby willmer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:14 am

I started learning Java on my android phone and loved it. I then got an iPhone and thought it would be cool to learn how to develop for the iPhone. I found this site and have been loving the tutorials.

Unfortunately, some of the tutorials require you to have developer access so that you can use an iPhone or iPad instead of the simulator. But for those of us who are still learning, $99/year is a huge price to pay for something we may not continue doing.

Wouldn't it be reasonable for Apple to say that you can develop and test on the simulator and your own devices for free but if you want to publish an app to the app store, you have to pay the $99/year. This will allow new people like myself a chance to try things out and decide if we want to continue to learn and develop new apps for the App Store.

I'm sure there could be some security issues with downloading other peoples' projects and putting them on your phone but we can jailbreak already which is even worse, so I'd like to hear what you think about this idea.
willmer
n00b

Re: IOS Dev Program: hopeful solution

Postby shippo0708 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Yes, it would be reasonable for Apple to let us freely develop on our "own" devices, but the same could be said about letting us run more than Apple approved code on our "own"devices. But good luck talking them in to any of that :(

In the situation where you are no where near putting an app in the store, there aren't very many options:
- Pay the 99 bucks for yourself.
- Get some friends together and split it.
- Find someone who already has an account.
- Jailbreak and bypass Xcode's CodeSigning :)

There are probably more ways, but its either somehow get to an account, or jailbreak...

Apple prides themselves on security and usability of their devices, even though the security part gets kicked in the teeth a few times a year from those wanting user freedom, so they will be pretty resistant to letting users load whatever they want like android does (when you activate Developer menu)
shippo0708
Uber Haxx0r

Return to General Discussion