ios app with multiple images

General discussion about iOS development - a great place to ask questions about iOS or help out others. For discussion of the official tutorials, see the Official Tutorials forum.

ios app with multiple images

Postby Fluffycat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm trying to develop an ios app which will have a large number of images as png files (200 to begin with but more added over time). I'm a beginner so any information would be really appreciated. My questions are:

if I store these images in the app itself, what is the best way to store them?

if I store them externally, what are my options?

I've been trying to read information on the web but get confused (have been reading about databases, JSON, XML files, plists) but not sure what is specific to many images being added to the app.

thanks so much!
Fluffycat
Baby Hacker

Re: ios app with multiple images

Postby marciokoko » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:55 am

If you store them in the app you would have to store them in the bundle of your app.

The best option is to store them online. What you do is store all images on a server folder somewhere. Then store the paths to those images in your app, such as in a database or a plist file.

Then just download them as you need them and update them whenever you want on the server.
--------------
"Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish!"
Mars
santiapps.com
@santiapps
MBA-2011-iPhone5s-iPad3
marciokoko
Team Member
Forum Subject Matter Expert

Postby Fluffycat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks marciokoko - so I'm guessing that if the app will also be used offline, then the images must be stored in a bundle within the app? I'm just worried about space..
I've also read somewhere that images should not be cached in the image cache but not sure what is meant by this?

:)
Fluffycat
Baby Hacker

Postby marciokoko » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Yes if the app will need those images while offline, you'll have to store them.

As for the cache, well an image cache is created precisely to store images. So I'm not sure why someone would say "don't use the cache". They probably meant, just make sure to empty the cache when not in use.
--------------
Mars
santiapps.com
@santiapps
MBA-2011-iPhone5s-iPad3
marciokoko
Team Member

Postby Fluffycat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:51 am

Thanks so much for all this information! Can I ask one final question:

When an ios app is submitted to the app store, is it usually submitted from the developer's account or the client's account? And can the client ask for the code which was written? I'm guess it's best practice for the developer to keep the code...?
Fluffycat
Baby Hacker

Postby marciokoko » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:52 pm

That really depends on your relationship with your client. I'm currently working on a project where my client has asked me to specifically deliver the Xcode project to them for uploading to the app store through their account. This means that if I want to keep certain code private I have to do whatever I need to do in order to achieve that goal. If you do not need to keep anything private from your client then just go ahead and give them the Xcode project in the end.
--------------
Mars
santiapps.com
@santiapps
MBA-2011-iPhone5s-iPad3
marciokoko
Team Member

Return to General Discussion