_UIApplicationSystemGestureStateChangedNotification private?

General discussion about iOS development - a great place to ask questions about iOS or help out others. For discussion of the official tutorials, see the Official Tutorials forum.

_UIApplicationSystemGestureStateChangedNotification private?

Postby chadbag » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:08 am

It was suggested on StackOverflow that monitoring for notification _UIApplicationSystemGestureStateChangedNotification is one way to get notified that the status bar has been touched. With the _ (underscore) character in front, this looks like a private notification that may have App Store acceptance implications. Does anyone know for sure if this is a NO NO to react to?

I have a view controller with multiple scrollview subclasses and need to scroll to the top of one of them when the status bar is touched and the default scroll to top functionality does not work when there are multiple scrollviews in the main view being displayed, even when all of them are set to NO except one. (And to complicate matters, the one I want to scroll is a few layers deep in the view hierarchy and is controlled by a child view controller).

Using a search engine on this notification name brings up only a few hits, mostly collateral references in other questions, or the original SO suggestion, or my questions and posts on SO about this.

Thanks for any insight.
chadbag
n00b

Re: _UIApplicationSystemGestureStateChangedNotification priv

Postby acburk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:20 am

I'm not seeing it anywhere online or in the docs so I would assume it's private and not for public use.
acburk
Team Member
Uber Haxx0r

Re: _UIApplicationSystemGestureStateChangedNotification priv

Postby stevenWorks5 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:58 am

Yep, sounds like it's private. Anyways, why not try another approach?
Off the top of my head....a few ways it might work.

- Add a tap gesture recognizer to your main view (assuming it's fullscreen) and check the points in the handler or its delegate calls.

- Add a clear status bar overlay/ add a gesture recognizer to that or implement touch handlers. There are a number of custom overlays implemented out there to get you started.
Here's one... https://github.com/myell0w/MTStatusBarOverlay

- subclass UIWindow and override the touch handlers and act accordingly (of course still calling super).
stevenWorks5
Baby Hacker

Return to General Discussion